Thursday, April 2, 2009

the frown

Mama always said I came out with a frown on my face. I never cried, I just opened my eyes and frowned. She says it was the darndest thing. All my brothers and sisters cried.

Well, Russell cried after he fell to the floor. Doc couldn’t keep his hands on him. Slippery little bastard. That’s just what he is to this day. He’s always lying and thieving, and the law just can’t seem to keep their hands on him for very long.

We all called him Slick when we was growing up.

Me, I frowned. So I got called Sad Face. Matter of fact, three people to this very day call me Sad Face - Sissy, Slick and Bernard. I never much cared to be called Sad Face, but I have to admit they had a point. I can’t even smile. Not a proper upturned smile like Sissy could make.

I smile in my head, and what’s on my face is an upside down version. Looks pathetic. I’ve stopped even trying.

So either the name wore off on me, or maybe it was imprinted on me from the moment I came out of Mama. Maybe the frown sealed the deal.

1 comment:

BigSleep666 said...

"I smile in my head, and what’s on my face is an upside down version."
It's like you are a funhouse mirror!